I’m Marcatore, one of the 3d artists behind gRally.
This is my first blog post as a gRally developer and today I’d like to explain what we’re doing on the Baitoni-Bondone stage.
In few words: optimizing, optimizing and optimizing.
As Mulder explained in the last dev blog post, this stage is our playground to test solutions to problems or to introduce new render technologies, and at the moment, we can’t add anything new due to the low FPS we have…so we have to optimize it if we want to go a step further.
The development history of our Baitoni-Bondone (I’ll call it “BB” from now on) is quite long and started by Gundam when Ghiboz used OGRE to render the game.
During the stage development we introduced Unity and added many and many objects and materials to complete it, trying to take advantage of the new renderer technology.
But now, having completed the stage (at least at a good level for our goals), we are faced with performance challenges.
So, we started analyzing our BB using Unity profiler and other performance indicators, and started an in-depth study of how Unity renders the game.
Many attempts were unsuccesful but in the last few weeks we discovered the main potential problem and drew up a plan to test solutions designed to solve it once and for all.
We are anxious to fix it!! And as soon as we have good news, we’ll most definitely share it with you…